Missing teeth can interfere with your daily life and make you feel self-conscious. Dental implants provide a unique opportunity to restore comfort, function, and the appearance of your smile. With an implant-supported restoration, you can replace a single missing tooth with a dental crown, several teeth with a bridge, or a full arch with a denture. At Midwest Oral Maxillofacial & Implant Surgery, our team of oral surgeons can precisely plan your treatment and place your implants for stable, natural-looking results. With multiple locations in Chesterfield, MO, and throughout the greater St. Louis area, you can undergo your procedure and follow-up appointments at the office which is most convenient for you.
What Are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a small titanium post which is embedded into the jawbone. Once in place, the post acts as an artificial tooth root and provides unparalleled support for your crown, bridge, or denture. By replacing the entire structure of your tooth, implant-supported restorations create a more realistic and comfortable effect than traditional options.
At Midwest Oral Maxillofacial & Implant Surgery, we offer multiple types of implants, including mini implants, allowing our team to find the solution best suited to your unique needs. Implants are not often covered by insurance but we believe everyone deserves access to this advanced treatment option. We accept several types of payment and CareCredit® financing to cover any out-of-pocket costs.
Dental Implant Treatment Timeline
Treatment will vary slightly from patient to patient depending on bone quality and many other factors. The below diagram represents the typical timeline for a dental implant patient.
great. experience, in and out quickly, no pain afterwards - Charles H.
Implants provide incredible support because the posts are embedded in the jaw...
The Advantages of Implants
Compared to other tooth replacement options, dental implants offer a range of benefits, such as:
- A natural look and feel: Since implant-supported restorations replace the entire structure of your tooth, they mimic the look and feel of natural teeth for improved comfort and aesthetics.
- Unlimited diet: Implants fuse with the tissue in your jawbone, creating a strong, sturdy bond. This process allows you to eat with confidence and enjoy all your favorite foods again.
- Durability: While all restorations will experience normal wear and tear, implant-supported restorations typically require fewer replacements than traditional options. In addition, the implant posts can last a lifetime with proper care.
- Enhanced oral health: By replacing the roots of your tooth, instead of just the crown, implants stimulate the jaw and prevent the tissue deterioration associated with tooth loss.
Many patients also notice a boost in their self-esteem after they finish treatment with dental implants. Filling gaps left by missing teeth or converting unstable dentures can make you feel better about your smile and your overall appearance.
Planning Your Treatment
During your first visit, you can sit down with one of our skilled surgeons and discuss your needs, goals, and budget. We can also coordinate with your general dentist to facilitate optimal treatment.
Our goal is to treat our patients like family and we will do whatever it takes to make you feel comfortable and relaxed during your time with us.
For more complex cases, we will typically perform comprehensive scans using our i-CAT™ 3-D cone beam CT scanner. This device provides precise, 3-D images of your jaw and sinuses, allowing us to place your implants in the ideal location.
A Typical Treatment Timeline
Restoring your smile with dental implants requires several months to complete. Since every smile is different, every treatment plan will be unique. However, treatment with dental implants typically follows several steps:
- Your surgeon will perform any preliminary procedures you need, such as bone grafts and tooth extractions, to prepare your smile for implants.
- We will schedule appointments to monitor your healing. Our doctors usually see patients a week after their procedure and then again after three months.
- Your surgeon will place your dental implant. The number of implants you need will depend on the size of your restoration and the anatomy of your jaw.
- We will monitor your healing for the next three to six months.
- When the implant has fully healed and integrated you will be released for restoration. At the time of release, we can take a digital impression of your implant using our CEREC Omnicam technology. This is done as a courtesy to our patients and the restoring doctor.
- Your dentist will obtain a shade for the restoration and attach the final crown to your implant(s) for a fully restored smile.
- Your dentist will craft a custom restoration and attach it to your implants for a fully restored smile.
We provide several types of sedation and anesthesia to ensure you are comfortable at every stage of treatment. Our goal is to treat our patients like family and we will do whatever it takes to make you feel relaxed during your time with us.
Restore Your Smile
Leaving missing teeth untreated can lead to a range of other health issues, including further tooth loss. If you are interested in restoring your smile with dental implants, contact our office online, call (636) 536-5158, or visit one of our locations today.